This year, Philadelphia Futures will be launching its first-ever on-site campus in the Kensington section of the city. At the Kensington campus, students will receive guidance through the college application, admissions and financial aid processes. We will begin working with students in 11th grade and continue to support students through college completion. We seek to admit 30 new scholars for the campus. We are excited to review your application and learn more about you through the application process!
To be eligible for the Kensington Campus, you must:
- Be in the 10th grade.
- Live in Philadelphia, PA.
- Attend Kensington High School, Kensington High School for Creative and Performing Arts, and Kensington Health Science Academy.
- Be a first-generation-to-college student. This means that the student does NOT live with a parent(s)/guardian(s) that has graduated from a college or university in the United States with a bachelor's degree.
- Demonstrate a solid academic performance.
- Meet family income guidelines. The federal income guidelines for free or reduced lunch are listed below and provide a recommended income limit based on family size. Individual applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Number in Household ............ Annual Earned Income
2 ......... $34,480
3 ......... $43,440
4 ......... $52,400
5 ......... $61,360
6 ......... $70,320
7 ......... $79,280
8 ......... $88,240
To gain admission to the program, students must complete a comprehensive and holistic application process. This means that we will carefully consider all parts of your application before making an admission decision. The three-round process requires academic information and test scores, writing responses, biographical information, information on extracurricular activities, family financial information, and a family interview for finalists.
First Round: Determining Eligibility | Due May 15, 2020
During this round, we capture biographical information about the applicant, such as demographic and contact information.
Second Round: Submitting Additional Materials | Due May 31, 2020
During this round, applicants submit required admission documents, including:
- 10th grade report cards/transcript/screenshot of Student Portal,
- Proof of household income (copy of family’s most recent federal IRS 1040 Tax Return and evidence of any family benefits),
- Citizenship documents (copy of the applicant’s social security card or permanent resident card), if applicable
- Three writing responses (250 words or less)
You will need a parent/guardian to help you complete the second round application.
Final Round: Interview and Skill Review | June (Date TBA)
During the third and final round, applicants are required to complete an interview with a Philadelphia Futures staff member, volunteer, or alumni. We want to learn about students, their academic aspirations, and why they are a good fit for the campus.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The email you use to register your Submittable account is the email address we will use to communicate with you. Please double check spelling to ensure you receive all Philadelphia Futures correspondence.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Philadelphia Futures Admissions at email@example.com.
If you have any technical questions or need technical assistance in completing your online submission, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.